Tuesday, May 3, 2011

+WHat it IS+

I think that it's fair to say that you can't talk about digital media without talking about computers. Our world has changed rapidly since the early 1800's.  Television is not longer anything new.  Neither are computers or satellites.  To communicate with networks all over the  world digital media is used.  This is how CNN broadcasts it's information worldwide and local news companies do the same thing as well.


Lev Manovich talks about the difference between old digital media and new digital media.  In his opinion, the difference is that new digital media is used for distribution rather than production.  


Lawrence Lessig talks about digital media and how it relates to copy writing.  There once was a time when there were strongly enforced laws that prohibited individuals from illegally downloading and distributing media but now just about any person that knows how to operate a computer can manage to download music, pictures, and software at the their own disposal.  The film Girl Talk elaborates more into depth on this subject.  


Steve Dixion talks about the various uses of digital media in the performing arts.  Out of all of the articles as films this one was to me the most interesting because I am an artist.  According to Steve the arts become digital when technology is the main source of the art.  As an opera singer I would love to go to the Metropolitan Opera in New York City once every two weeks to see a show but that's financially impossible for me.  Thanks to the Met HD Broadcasting software I can go to my local movie theater and watch my favorite opera lives.  This is something that I could not have done if I was growing up years ago.  The argument that seeing art performed life is still valid.  The experience that you gain from a live performance is unexplainable, but being able to watch something that you aspire to be states away is still amazing!!!!! ~Revisit~Restore~Recreate~

No comments:

Post a Comment